Thursday, June 25, 2009

Part 2...TWINS!!!

Then in December 2008 I took a home pregnancy test and it came back positive!!!

After the initial shock wore off, we were so excited. We were not actively TTC, but knew it was a possibility. I really felt that this baby was meant to be. I couldn't wait to add another member to our family.

The pregnancy was progressing well. We only told a few people we were expecting because of my past history. I didn't want to have to explain a miscarriage to Emma. She had been wanting a baby brother or sister for quite some time and I just knew she would be so excited about it!!! So we waited to tell the kids and most people until we heard the heartbeat.

At 12 weeks we went in for our appointment and heard the heartbeat, just one. We felt everything was going well with the pregnancy, so it was finally safe to tell the kids. A few days later we announced it to them. Of course, Emma was thrilled and Brady was excited too in his own quiet way. After the announcement to them everyone else soon knew, Emma couldn't keep it a secret and it was time to spill the beans.

At 15 weeks I had a little bit of spotting. We went in to see a nurse practitioner. She came in the room, pulled back the gown and said, "Whoa, how far along are you?" I said, "Fifteen weeks." "Either you are off on your dates, or there's TWO in there!" Well I knew I wasn't off on my dates, but I thought NO WAY!!! What are the chances of there being TWO babies in there? NO WAY!!! So she checked me and said everything seemed fine, but she sent me down to ultrasound to check how many babies we had.

Now, I have to say that all along I had felt bigger, faster with this pregnancy. We joked about twins, but NEVER thought it was a possibility. I just figured it was my third baby, sixth pregnancy, I was 34, and that is why I was getting bigger.

We sat in the lobby waiting to see the u/s tech. Hutch was freaked...TWO babies??? I told him to relax, there was no way there were two. The tech called us back. She squirted the gel on my belly, put the wand on and within a few seconds she said, "There's two!" OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hutch was in disbelief. He just sat there, very quietly. I too was in disbelief, but all I could do was giggle. The tech had to ask me to keep still so she could finish the u/s. WOW...TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How exciting!!! I felt so lucky, like I had won the lottery. We hadn't planned on having 2 more kids, but oh my gosh what a MIRACLE!!! I truly felt like this was meant to be.


(Today is two months since losing the girls. This is all I can write for now. It hurts too much to relive it all at once...)

7 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Tina....the tears well as I read that- our loss is too- so raw and fresh. I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful girls. I started my blog as part of my 'recovery' too, I pray we can be there for one another xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry- didn't explain who I was- my blog is " footprint of angels", thanks for following me xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you at this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to learn that there was two babies. I'm sure this will always be a good memory for you.

    I'm so sorry that your sweet babies are not with you. Please know you're not alone. There are so many wonderful women here online willing to lend a virtual shoulder to lean on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hold on to these happy moments- moments of learning that you were unique in being a twin mommy- in knowing the excitement it was to be carrying them... I think back on that now too- I still wonder what it would have been like to have both- still remember the look on my hubby's face when he learned we were having two- such shock- but such happiness... That is part of the story I like to remember- the happiness- hold on to that as you grieve- hold on to that and look for times where your babies sent you smiles-
    Thinking of you!
    Hugs-
    Laura D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm so so sorry for the loss of your girls. i know how hard it is to relive those memories, i still have not written my birth story at all. as Laura said, we have to hold on to the good memories.
    thinking of you, Sophie and Ellie <3

    ReplyDelete